Monday, September 13, 2010

Install Win 7 via USB in 4 easy steps

After searching and trying about 20 different methods (some very complicated) found online over the past few weeks, I *finally* got my SanDisk Cruzer Micro (8GB) to boot into the Windows 7 Installer. And it was a simple process too! So I'm sharing it here in case anyone else is having similar issues:

1 - Using the HP
USB Disk Storage Format Tool v2.0.6*, I formatted the flash drive using FAT32 leaving all the boxes unchecked.

*
Update: (Link no longer valid. Plus, based on the posts I've read, only v2.0.6 seems to work. Others versions, including newer ones, do not work for some weird reason. Therefore, use your friend Google to try and track down "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool v2.0.6". Good luck!



2 - I mounted the Windows 7 Beta ISO using
Virtual CloneDrive (free, www.slysoft.com).

3 - Then I copied the contents of the ISO (all of the Windows 7 files and folders) over to the SanDisk. That took about 7 minutes.


4 - Lastly, I renamed the file on the flash drive from "BOOTMGR" to "NTLDR".



That's it! I was able to finally boot off the SanDisk using my Dell Mini 9 and install Windows 7! It took about an hour, but it runs great. Then I followed the steps outlined
here to install the necessary drivers (which wasn't many since Win7 detects just about everything, nice!).

No comments:

Post a Comment